Air purifiers have gained major consumer attraction for all the right reasons. After looking into the present indoor air quality, investment electrostatic air purifiers are nothing less than a smart choice. However, with so many manufacturers and different technologies such as HEPA and electrostatic, choosing the right technology can surely make a difference depending on your usage and requirements. In one of our previous blog posts, we discussed the comparison between HEPA and electrostatic technology in air purifiers. However, in this blog, we will be focusing entirely on the electrostatic variant. In case you have decided to buy it, this blog can come in handy for you.
What you should know about electrostatic air purifiers?
Electrostatic air purifiers use the principle of electrostatic precipitation. These highly efficient filtration devices use electrostatic attraction to remove dust particles and fine particulate matter like smoke, pollen, and other pollutants from the air. These devices tend to ionize the incoming air molecules via an electronic cell. The charged air is then passed through a series of oppositely charged collector plates which trap or “attract” the charged pollutants to their surface while giving out clean air. Here are a few important points you must know about them.
- They are affordable devices offering high-quality air purification.
- They release ozone, large amounts are hazardous, this can cause health problems for those who are sensitive to it , LakeAir electrostatic units produce a very small amount of ozone.
- One of the advantages is that they tend to last for decades. However, they must be cleaned regularly. The more frequently they are cleaned the better they work.
- There isn’t much maintenance cost on electrostatic air cleaners as they come with pre-installed and washable filters.
- They are an ideal option for heavy industrial applications.
- Their efficiency of cleaning depends upon the size of the collection plates, power being produced in the electric field, airflow rate through the device, and as mentioned previously, the frequency of cleaning by the owner.
- Cleaning can be done by hosing down the plates with water or simply vacuuming them. However, the air sucking action may not be sufficient enough to remove every dust particle from the filter. Although vacuuming is definitely the fastest and most convenient cleaning methods, it’s better to wash the filter thoroughly just to get rid of the dirt. Here is a video showing how to clean your LakeAir Electrostatic Air Purifier