Bipolar Ionization/Corona Discharge/ Needlepoint Ionization and Other Ion or Reactive Oxygen Air Cleaners
• Air cleaners using reactive ions and/or reactive oxygen species (ROS) have become prevalent during the COVID-19 pandemic. New devices that are not mentioned elsewhere in this guidance likely fall into this category.
• High voltage electrodes create reactive ions in air that react with airborne contaminants, including viruses. The design of the systems can be modified to create mixtures of reactive oxygen species (ROS), ozone, hydroxyl radicals and superoxide anions.
• Systems are reported to range from ineffective to very effective in reducing airborne particulates and acute health symptoms.
• Convincing scientifically-rigorous, peer-reviewed studies do not currently exist on this emerging technology; manufacturer data should be carefully considered.
• Systems may emit ozone, some at high levels. Manufacturers are likely to have ozone generation test data.
This information was taken directly from the ashrae-filtration_disinfection-c-19-guidance.pdf